Monday 2 May 2011

After deciding to change project topic i became very interested in the impact of body image on children through barbie/ Disney dolls when I caught a glimpse of them in my sisters bedroom. I found some shocking comparisons which I thought were rather interesting when looking at their appearance and body shape.
Here I noticed how tanned Barbie is compared to a Disney doll, and also how much slimmer the Barbie doll is. The makeup is equally as ful on in these dolls!

I then noticed the difference in the clothing these dolls wear. Disney doll is more covered up, long dresses et.c, whereas Barbie has very short more revealing clothes. Not something I feel should be demonstrating as a role model for childrens dress code. Something more for a teenager,or young women going to a night club.


I was quite shocked at the amount of makeup up Barbie has compared to most of the Disney dolls. Disney dolls have a more subtle amount of makeup. Barbie also seems to have a look thats very much like plastic surgery - the lips- plump!


After a lot more researchh, comparing childrens books, programmes e.t.c, i decided again there was too much already said about Barbie so I wanted to do something different. I decided to break it down and look at just disney. Representation of women within them.

No comments:

Post a Comment